Saturday, February 5, 2011

"You Make My Heart" Pop-Out

Ah Valentine's Day, when pink and glitter seem like good ideas. My favorite part about this holiday is that it gives us an excuse to tell people we love them...plus, make them cards. I've seen some really fun Valentines online, from punny Patent Illustration Valentines to SuperFriends Action Valentines from the 1980s, to ninja-themed Kawaii Mini Valentines. Many, including these, are free to print at home!

But I'm low on printer ink, so I decided to make another hand-made Valentine, inspired by the Aud Sentiments Corny Sayings challenge and the "slider pop-out card" tutorial I found yesterday at SCS. I'm also entering this card into the Cards for Men Valentine Challenge, because I think it keeps a classic Valentine feeling without being too girly. I'd give it to my sweetheart (but he'll read about it here first)!

This card features this Friday's PaperFacesDesign Freebie, Lovebirds 2.

The card design is quite simple (if you follow the directions, which only took me twice), and once you have the base together, you can decorate to your heart's desire. I stamped a heart-and-star border from a Christmas set onto the "sliding wrap" with Antique Linen distress ink, for a wood-block, vintage feel. Then I got a little funky and "distressed" the white side of a light green paper with red, yellow, and linen inks. I was inspired by Stamping 411's Technique Thursday / Reinker Background post, but I don't have the right tools so I just used a damp paper towel. After it dried, I stamped the flowering vine stamps onto the green side, for the garland, and made a backing piece for the Lovebirds. I even ran the ribbon over the Antique Linen ink to tone it down. The garland is affixed with heart brads; I hid the backs with a couple of the vine stamps.

Sliding Pop-Out Card Tutorial: Kim Score for Splitcoaststampers
Digi stamp: Lovebirds 2 by PaperFacesDesigns

Inspiration:
Aud Sentiments Challenge #21: Corny Valentine
Cards for Men Challenge #3: Valentines/Love

Supplies: decorative papers by Paper Studio, MS detailing scissors, ZipDry glue, Sentiment stamp by gstudio, HP printer & ink, Cricut + SCAL, Fiskars papercutter and deckle scissors, Copic Ciao markers, Tim Holtz distress inks (fired brick, antique linen, mustard seed), silicon stamps from gstudio and Scrappy Cat, stash eyelet & heart brads, Crop-O-Dile II, Offray ribbon

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow a really fabulous card design, and I love your sentiment. Thanks for joining us at CFM, good luck with the Challenge. with hugs Shirleyxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a lot of work on your card and you did a wonderful job. I'm going to have to try making the card. Thanks for leaving the directions. Thanks for joining us at Cards for Men, we love seeing your creations. Good luck on the challenge.
    Hugs, Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful card! I love the design. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty card! Love your birds. Thanks for joining us at Aud Sentiments

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely interactive card. I like the ribbon touch you have given on the top.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.