Sunday, May 22, 2011

Upcycling and Old Maids

I've been following the Simon Says Stamp and Show blog for a while now, but didn't feel ready to participate in their challenges quite yet. However, I couldn't resist their "Old Wives' Tale" challenge.

My favorite Old Wives' Tale is "Don't take the last piece or you'll be an Old Maid." By favorite I mean I've been married for over 6 years and I still hesitate on taking the last piece. I've stood over the last sad piece of cake with many a woman with that saying in her head...

So I used the concept to create the front cover of my multi-media art journal for the current theme at the Stampin' Dymonz Scrap Shack Off the Page group. For the flower pattern on the platter, I was inspired by the Cowslip pattern on my Grandma's Spode dishes. The colors are bright and interesting, and I definitely went outside my comfort zone to imitate the painting (sometimes not coloring inside the lines is a good thing!).

Above is my blank journal, which I made with cardboard scrap from our Sarah-Cynthia-Sylvia-Stout-esque recycling bin. The pages are sanded and distressed with Mustard ink.
...and I even made a matching bookmark! The fortune cookies are stamped onto polymer clay, baked, and then shaded with copics.

Inspiration: Simon Says Stamp and Show an Old Wives' Tale

Supplies: Asian by Design & Asian Influences stamp sets by Inkadinkado, sentiment from Regal Greetings set by {ippity} Stamps, Recollections cardstock, Tim Holtz Distress Inks, Martha Stewart detailing scissors and chalk ink, Fiskars papercutter and deckle scissors, Stampendous clear embossing powder, Marvy heat tool, stash twine, polymer clay

Copics: E33, E11, E35, FY1, E08, FB2, R59, G02

3 comments:

  1. This is a great art journal, Christina! Love the papers! I like that mid seam binding - very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is brilliant... love the layout and the fact that you got inspired by your granny's spode dishes. How sweet is that...

    And the way you have photographed it is lovely.

    Happy crafting, Monica

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a message. I truly appreciate it, and I will enjoy hopping over to your blog as well.